Hello, guys, today I’d like to share a simple recipe for French toast (PAIN PERDU) homemade, and this French toast it’s a bit different than usual French toast. this recipe I’ve got from my M.I.L (Mom In Law) honestly I never knew how to baking or cooking before I’ve got married and live far from my family in Indonesia, to live far from my mom forcing me to be able to do something to eat, to give any pleasure into my mouth cause I like to EAT haha.
PAIN PERDU comes from French words that are mean the LOST BREAD, (it’s a bit weird huh?!).this cake is traditional cake homemade which based of all the bread leftover that you have at home (maybe that’s why they called it the lost bread or maybe for us more like bread leftover), because here in FRANCE almost in every meal time they will eat fresh bread as accompanying their meals so sometimes they still have a few bread leftover if they don’t finish their bread in their meal time before. It is really easy to make and really suitable for the beginner person in the kitchen like ME 🙂
- 1 Litre Milk
- 1 egg
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar or 1 Tbsp. vanilla essence
- 50 gr dried black raisin
- 50 gr dried golden raisin
- 150 gr Sugar granulated
- Bread leftover
- A few butter for coating the cake mold
Tool: Pyrex cake mold
- You need to soak all the bread leftover for a few hours or minutes with milk depend on how much your quantity of our bread leftover and how hard is that because if you use the baguette leftover it will be harder like a rock if you kept it for a long time.
- After the bread already soft after soaked by the milk, mix well with egg, sugar and vanilla sugar or vanilla essence. And don’t forget to preheat your oven to temperature 200 °C for about 10 mins
- After all is well mixed, you can add the 2 types of dried Raisin into the dough, mix well.
- Prepare your cake mold and coating it with a few butter, after that you can put the dough into the cake mold.
- Bake for about 45 mins with temperature 180 °C ( for the time I put the estimated time because different type of oven can have different baking time, so adjusted with your own oven 🙂 )
- After it finish to bake, let it cool first for a few minutes and enjoy it 🙂
For the quantity all the ingredients, it can be added as much as you want or adjusted with the quantity of your bread leftover :). So it’s EASY, no?? For the ingredient, you can find it easily in the supermarket or even in your kitchen. This cake is very good to enjoy for tea time, breakfast or even for a dessert and the most important is everyone can make it. hmm, after you read my recipe, would you like to try it at home? Happy baking everyone!! And don’t hesitate to left any comment below if you have any questions about that.